Resources for Navigating Youth Substance Misuse Prevention
What’s the Problem?
In 2017, the Strafford County Youth Risk Behavior Survey results told us that youth in our county are at risk of substance misuse. In response, the Network has put together a road map to help parents, guardians and community members navigate how to recognize at-risk behavior, and communicate effectively with youth.
By the Numbers:
69% of Strafford County High School students reported that ‘it would be easy to get alcohol.’
Over half of students surveyed have never talked to their parents about the dangers of drug and alcohol use.
24% of high school students used an electronic vapor product in the past 30 days.
46% of high school students surveyed reported that it would be easy to get marijuana.
What parents/guardians can do:
- Educate yourself and youth about the dangers of risky behaviors
- Establish and maintain clear and consistent rules and boundaries at an early age, and continue to offer open lines of communication with youth
- Help youth identify and navigate the mixed messages about substance misuse in the community
- Ensure that youth in your home and community do not have access to alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
For example: at home, lock up or monitor substances that can be misused (alcohol, prescription drugs, etc.)
- Stay active and engaged with your child and the youth in your community
- Model healthy behaviors and encourage youth participation in substance free events and activities
- Provide environments and promote opportunities that allow for positive social interactions in the home, school and community
What your community can do:
- Review and improve alcohol and drug policies in your schools by adopting the Model School Policy for Substance Misuse
- Host, promote, and involve youth in substance-free events in your community
- Create and enforce local laws and policies that promote alcohol, drug and tobacco free public areas and workplaces
- Celebrate and promote positive substance-free activities, successes and events
Dover Coalition for Youth
Somersworth Prevention Coalition
NH Bureau of Drug & Alcohol Services
SOS Recovery Community Organization
For more information, or to connect with the Strafford County Public Health about events, reach out to us at SCPHN@GoodwinCH.org