What We Want To Do
Having a healthy diet and getting enough physical exercise are two of the most important aspects of living a healthy life. We want to make sure everyone in our community knows how to improve and maintain their health.
We envision a happier, healthier community of people working together to strengthen themselves and each other. The public health network's part in this is to spread information about healthy eating and physical activity. We aim to become a resource for Strafford County's education in striving to improve overall public health.
How We Want To Do It
Playing our part in the mission to make Strafford County a happier and healthier place to be has 3 key factors:
- Provide community education on healthy living.
- Increase the availability, accessibility and intake of healthy foods.
- Increase the availability, accessibility and use of free/low cost physical activity.
We are working with our partners throughout the county, state, and nation to turn these goals into real progress in our community.
Strafford County Plant-A-Row Program
One of the challenges Granite Staters are facing is food insecurity. Whether you are looking to supplement your own household, or would like to donate produce, we can all plant an extra row or container!
When you pledge to plant an extra row (or container) a garden kit will be mailed to you. We will keep in touch with our weekly Plant a Row newsletter. Here, you will find growing tips, activities, recipes and information on where to donate or access fresh produce.
- Fresh Produce. By planting an extra row and donating procude you can help increase access to fresh and nutritious foods.
- Container Gardens. Plant an extra container! The entire container can then be donated. Container gardens with tomatoes, peppers, herbs, or greens make for a great source of continuos nutrition.
- Make a Gift. If you are unable to plant a row, you can help the community through giving a gift towards Plant a Row. 100% of the gifts are used to purchase fresh produce from local farms for food pantries in Strafford County.
It’s clear that being more active benefits everyone and helps us live longer, healthier lives. Don't be afraid to find the exercise that works for you! Physical activity is anything that moves your body and burns calories. This includes things like walking, climbing stairs and stretching.
With so many unhealthy food options around us, you might think its difficult to have a balanced diet. However, there are some simple things you can keep in mind in your day-to-day life which should help you identify healthy food options at the grocery store, restaurants, and anywhere else.